Saturday, October 12, 2013

Here we go!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the Internet. Let me tell you a little about me so that you know what to expect from The Ambling Historian.

In my professional life, I have a degree in Historic Preservation and have done work at both of the "Ivory Towers" of the history field - the National Park Service (previously) and the Smithsonian Institution (currently).

In my personal life, I run a nonprofit for the Falmouth Union Church Historic Site and have an intense passion for American history, mainly Civil War and earlier. I love visiting battlefields, historic house museums, and various other historic structures.

I love seeing places that are off the beaten path - like, waaaaay off the beaten path. This often means that the sites may have little if any information on site. That appeals to the researcher in me because I then get to dive into historic records, maps, etc and find out about the site.

My goal for The Ambling Historian is to present a variety of posts. Sometimes we will explore the story behind a place. Other times it will be about the people in a certain place. There will also be posts about places I can't find any info about and I just want to share in he hopes that someone else will have some info. There may even be posts that are short - a photo and a few words - because I find the place and its accompanying story moves me beyond words.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy this blog and you have a good time ambling through history with me!

1 comment: